From talking to local residents it is clear that many feel disappointed with the level of representation offered by our councillors.
Too many councillors once elected are never seen again, or move away like the Lib Dem from Horsham Park who lives in Hastings, but still claimed travel expenses when he attended council meetings.
The poor level of representation we have received in areas like Horsham Park over the last four years is a major motivation for us to offer residents a greater commitment to public service at a time when important decisions are being made about cuts to local services. Residents feel their views are not listened to and many people don’t even know who their councillors are! We believe that anyone elected to represent local people should do just that – represent their views on local matters – so if elected we undertake to:
- Be visible in the local area
- Attend both council and planning meetings
- Consult regularly on issues of local concern
- Feed back on council meetings through regular newsletters and publish a report on our website after council meetings, highlighting what we have said and how we voted
- Organise regular surgeries to offer help and advice with council issues